Jennifer Jolly & Friends is a Bay Area group of ace musicians playing joyful and heartfelt eclectic roots music from North and South America, Africa, Europe, and the British Isles. It’s diverse as all get out, and yet all delightfully connected.
Multi-instrumentalist Jennifer Jolly and some of her dearest friends mix boogies and ballads, country and cumbia, reels and rockers, and of course a tune by Tom Petty. Jennifer’s guests may rotate a bit from show to show, but the core group consists of some of the Bay Area’s deepest roots musicians:
• Jennifer Jolly on keyboards, melodica, guitar, vocals. Currently: Kotoja, Zulu Spear, Pamela Rose’s “Blues is a Woman,” The Jolly Gibsons, Big B & His Snake Oil Saviors, Bait & Switch Blues Band, Phatlip, Tom Rigney & Flambeau (sub), Chelle! & Friends (guest), Creekside Community Church Worship Band, others. Previous credits include Phil Lesh, Barbara Dane, Hot Links. CJC/Jazzschool faculty instructor.
• Steve Gibson on guitar, mandolin. Currently: Funk Revival Orchestra, The Jolly Gibsons, Bait & Switch Blues Band, others. Co-founder of Bandworks music school.
• Max Butler on guitar, pedal steel, vocals. Performance credits include Chuck Prophet, Red Meat, Bash and Pop, and The Sextants. Has appeared on Austin City Limits and the Craig Kilborn Show. Currently the Music Director at Creekside Community Church in San Leandro.
• Jeremy Steinkoler on drum set, bodhrán, percussion. Currently: Mo’Fone (founder), Jenna & the Charmers (co-founder), The Bait & Switch Blues Band, The J. Steinkoler Quartet, others. Additional credits include Chelle! & Friends, Mamadou Sidibe, Hot Links, Clarence Bucaro, and Rachel Efron. Co-founder of Bandworks music school.
• Mark Johnson on bass, vocals. Currently: Creekside Community Church Worship Band, Little Sister and Hollywood Swingers, others. Previous credits include Bobby McFerrin, Lydia Pense, Stephen Bishop, and Roy Tyler and New Directions gospel group (co-founder).
Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door. Children under 12 are free. Advance tickets are available at the link below, or you may purchase your tickets at the door the night of the show. Doors open one half hour before show time. We accept cash only at the door (ATMs are nearby).
The Back Room is an all-ages, BYOB (for those 21+) space, dedicated to (mostly) acoustic music of all kinds. You are welcome to bring your own adult beverage with no additional corkage fee. If you need more information or have any questions, please call us: #510-654-3808. Thank you for your support!